Sunday 29 March 2015

Where am I?

So, it has been five months since I last posted here. I've been doing lots of things that don't involve being a cancer patient!

I rejoined my choir.
I signed up to help teach music to pre-schoolers.
I went back to work.
I applied for a new job.
I've been making audiobooks.*
I've taken up running (the couch to 5K program).
I've signed on as the lead clinician in a new research study we are running.
I've been going to parks and playgrounds.
I worked out how to use Zoe's scooter. (She doesn't like it anymore.)
And I cleaned and reorganised the pantry.

So in the midst of all this I realised that I don't want to write about my diagnosis and treatment story. I just don't want to go back there. I don't want to write about where I was. I want to write about where I am now.

I've learned a lot from the whole process of cancer treatment, and I want to reflect on that, not on the events that got me where I am. I want to move forward and take what I've learned with me, not to dwell in the dark days of chemo, surgery, radiotherapy and being sick all the time.

So this is just a short post to say, not "where have I been?" but "where am I now?"

I plan to resume this blog on a more or less weekly basis, but to focus on moving forward. I will probably at some point in the future be ready to process the rest of the diagnosis/treatment journey but now I'm happy to say that I'm moving on from that place. I'm taking my medications every day and planning to stay well for a long time to come!

*Here's a small sample of what I've been doing - I'm playing Sherlock Holmes in this dramatised reading of the classic short stories: https://librivox.org/his-last-bow-some-reminiscences-of-sherlock-holmes-dramatic-reading-by-sir-arthur-conan-doyle/

1 comment:

  1. Lovely to hear from you! The "onwards and upwards" idea sounds wonderful - looking forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete